How do you become a game tester?

This program will explain everything you need to know to become a game tester.

Of all the jobs in the game industry, Video Game Tester is the one that inspires the most excitement, curiosity, and passion. Maybe it’s the appeal of “getting paid to play games.” Or maybe it’s the thought of trading a soul-crushing hourly job to pursue a new career you can truly love. I mean, who doesn’t dream of getting paid to play games all day?

Being a QA tester for a game company isn’t exactly “getting paid to play video games,” but it’s not a bad way to earn a living. And it’s certainly a common way for newbies to break into the game industry — in fact, I started my own career as a game tester, and used that experience to build a successful (and, frankly, highly-paid) career making games.

But there’s a lot of bad information out there, including scammy websites that prey on the passion of young people who want to become game testers. It’s hard to know what’s true and what’s hype. That’s why I compiled this in-depth question-and-answer article to answer your burning questions about QA testing jobs. It’s based on my own career as a video game tester, plus advice and insights from many other game testers I’ve worked with over the years.

By the time your read it, you’ll feel more confident than ever about your aspirations to become a professional game tester. If you have any other questions that I don’t answer here, just ask me in the comments section below.


Comments